Friday, August 14, 2009

Treycen the Kindergartener










Treycen and Aspen were pretty excited, Treycen had just caught a butterfly!
















Mrs, McDougal.. look at how nice she is dressed!


Treycen back home from his first day!

Treycen planted these sunflowers in a cup at preschool around the end of the school year. It finally bloomed the day before his first day in Kindergarten! I thought it was an analogy for his growing up!
2nd Day of School







Why am I crying almost two weeks later? After Treycen has been going to school long enough for me to let him get on the bus and go and then come home on his own from the bus stop? Sure, I cried a little after leaving him at the school last Tuesday (Aug 4, 2009), his first day of school...
He was so excited that morning that he couldn't wait to put on his chosen outfit for his first day and wear his new backpack! I made him breakfast and then lunch to make sure that he was well fed and happy all day. I got myself and Aspen ready too.. the plan was that we would walk him to the bus (taking pictures all the way) and after he had gotten on, I would then try to beat the bus to the school to take pictures again and wait for his class to line up against the outside wall for pictures with their teacher. The second part of the plan was that I would also be at the school before the last bell rang to help him get on the bus - and once again try and beat it home to greet him at the stop. Best of both worlds.. he got to fulfill his lifelong dream - to ride the bus, and I got to make sure he was safe!

Tuesdays are the days that Hyrum has to leave around 12:00 to get to work earlier than usual for a meeting. I had asked him if he could possibly wait to leave until after the bus picked up Treycen at 12:10. He said there was no way and I decided not to push the subject. He said good bye to Treycen after taking pictures and driving up to the bus stop to give me Aspens shoes that we couldn't find before.

We were at the bus stop waiting for a long time, because in our anxiousness and excitement, we'd gotten there 10 minutes early! Treycen listened for the bus.. I took pictures. He sat and he stood.. and I took more pictures! At one point Treycen and Aspen saw a little white butterfly and Treycen exclaimed, "I'm gonna catch it!" He quickly reached and cupped his hands together where the butterfly had almost landed on a morning glory flower. I watched the wonder in his and Aspens eyes as he looked at his hands and slowly opened them to see if he had succeeded in catching it.

As his hands opened, sure enough, the little white butterfly flew out of them! He and Aspen laughed and ran around telling the story over and over again.. how Treycen caught the butterfly!

We were sitting down again in the shade of a small tree, when I saw Hyrum's car coming down the street toward us. I thought I knew why, but I didn't say anything to Treycen who hadn't noticed it. Hyrum pulled in the culdesac and turned around and parked across from us. He got out of the car and I could see (in spite of his sunglasses) that he'd been crying. Treycen looked over as Hyrum walked toward us and called, "DADDY!" He ran to his open arms and jumped into a hug! Hyrum's voice cracked as the tears came again and he said, " I couldn't miss your first day buddy!"

Now I was crying the tears that had started to well up when I'd seen his car again and figured his reason for returning! We all hugged and enjoyed the now PERFECT moments waiting for the bus!
After taking pictures of him getting on the bus and waving good bye to Treycen, Hyrum left for work and Aspen and I got in the other car to race the bus to school! We got there just minutes before the bus did and Aspen and I were waiting with my camera! He said the school bus ride was "Awesome!" All the parents were there with their kids and cameras as we waited for Mrs. McDougal. I asked Treycen if he wanted to meet some friends and he said no. "Are you shy?" I asked, and he said, "NO! I WILL NEVER BE SHY!" I laughed at his cute remark as he continued to hug me. We adored each other as we waited and Aspen wasn't beyond adoration of her own either! When Treycen was away, she reached toward him and called out his name! She would run up to him and hug him and tell him that she loved him!

Finally, it was time for him to go and I called out to him that I loved him as we held out our I love you signs with our hands and I watched him disappear through the door. I took Aspen and got into the car to go shopping. As we drove away, I said a silent prayer asking for him to be watched over and to help him make friends and be liked and be happy... that is when I cried again, as I turned it over to the Lord and realised that I now could not protect him from what happened in school. Feeling vulnerable as a parent, I asked Heavenly Father to watch over my baby and take care of him when I can't.

Treycen was so excited to see me after school when he left his class room! He ran to me and hugged me tight and told me how he missed me so much! I missed him too! It was chaos outside and I was very glad that I was there to be sure that he would get on the bus safely... especially when I found out that the bus number I had been given and had him memorize, was only the bus that picked him up for school - not the one that took him home! After his teacher helped us figure out which one he was supposed to be on, we got on with him and she called out, "Does anyone here know Treycen?" Wesley Johnston and Ethan Albers both raised their hand and Ethan offered him a seat with him. I noticed Rylan Loader quietly sitting near me in the front seat, I asked him to please make sure that Treycen got off the bus at his bus stop (they live in the culdesac around the corner from us).
After thanking his teacher, I rushed to the car to hurry and try to get home before the bus! As I drove down our street, I saw the bus coming toward me and dropping off kids... I was too late! Anxiously, I pulled into the driveway, looking for Treycen the whole time. I got out of the car and saw that Treycen was on the front porch and Rylan had walked him home to insure his safety and was waiting with him! What a SWEETHEART!

The next day, I let Treycen ride the bus to school - and he doesn't know that I was parked at the street in the car.. I watched him get off the bus and walk into his class to make sure that he was okay. After school was chaotic again and the lady that loaded the buses started loading his before his class was even let out! She was rude and uncaring, so I called upon Treycen's new guardian angels... I asked Rylans and Ethan's mom's if their kids could wait outside Treycen's class to make sure he got to the bus safely... they were happy to help!

The next day, I observed. I watched as Rylan and Ethan lined up at Treycen's door and waited for him! When he came out, he saw me and immediately dashed toward me for a hug... That's when Rylan grabbed him and pulled him back and said, "this way!" I watched, happily, as he took Treycen under his wing and led him to the line for the bus, making sure that he was safe! I knew then that everything was going to be okay!

That Friday was the first time that I did not go to his school at all.. I trusted and waited and sure enough, he got off the bus and was walked to me by Rylan! All was well and I knew that I had done all I could do to insure his safety while still letting him be an individual!

Monday, Treycen's new Firefly cell phone came and we were able to send him with that phone in case of emergency. It only has keys for calling mom or dad and a directory button for other pre-programmed buttons for him to call. We can (and probably will) have the phone be able to be tracked by us on a map that will show us exactly where he is at any moment - for another added security.

So School is going well, he is adjusting, I am feeling good about his safety, and we are falling into a routine.. but today, I cried. I had him walk across the street and wait for the bus while I watched him. As soon as he got there I had him run back and meet me halfway... I needed hugs and kisses! His squishy cheek under my kiss was wonderful! I told him I was proud and that I love him! He then went back to the bus stop. I was in the driveway, in the shadow of the garage and he called out and started running towards me, "Mommy! I have flowers for you!" We met in the middle again and he kissed me and gave me instructions to put the flowers (Morning Glory's) in a little cup with water. Then we both returned to our places of waiting.

I called to him when I saw the bus coming and he stood and got ready. We called out our I Love You's and then he disappeared behind the cover of the bus. I waved and waved in case he would look out his window and see me. I want him to know that he is loved and missed while he is gone. My eyes welled up with tears.. I do so hope he knows that I love him and that I always will!

As I waved, I remembered my mom waving goodbye and sending us off to school... I remember how much I knew she loved me and how much it meant to me! I know how she felt too... Love for her babies, always. I know how her heart tugged as we left for school.. as my heart now tugs for my Treycen and will for all my children, as I watch them grow up and leave me little by little finding their independence. I understand now, exactly how it felt for my mom and why she prayed for us always.

Waving goodbye and sending a Prayer that we would be watched over when she couldn't be there.

1 comment:

ShelleyMom said...

Dear Stacey,
Sweet tears are still rolling down my cheeks...I feel as if I was present with your family, and simultaneously returned to memories of my own of you and your siblings decades ago, when I read your description of Treycen's first day. Thank you for tenderly recording this for your children...and for me. You are such an improved version of me, and I am so proud! I love you, mom